Galway edges out Dublin in an extra-time clash at Parnell Park


q w 0, tags: galway extra-time parnell -

In a dramatic finish at Parnell Park, Galway broke Dublin’s hearts, winning after a tough extra-time battle. The prestigious Brendan Martin Cup will have a new home this season. On a cool evening in north Dublin, Mick Bohan’s team faced defeat after missing vital chances.

Dublin suffered a blow before the match when their captain and top scorer, Carla Rowe, was removed from the lineup. Aoife Kane took her place in the half-forward line. Without their leader, Dublin’s attack lacked flow and struggled.

Galway’s determination and crucial plays

It remains to be seen if we’ve seen the last of some key players in Sky Blue. Galway showed great spirit, scoring crucial points when needed. They will now face Cork in the All-Ireland semi-finals in two weeks.

Galway started with a free from Olivia Divilly, but Dublin dominated the first 15 minutes. Sinéad Goldrick started for Dublin with a nice point after a well-planned move. Jennifer Dunne then scored from the left wing, followed by a great shot by Nicole Owens that curved inside the right post.

Hannah Tyrrell added another point with a close-range free. It looked easy for Dublin, but that was their last score for a while. Galway got back into the game with an important goal from Róisín Leonard. Niamh Donlon made a great block on Nicola Ward, but the ball fell to Leonard who scored, leveling the game.

That goal hurt Dublin’s confidence. They started missing a lot, with seven wides before halftime. Niamh Hetherton tried a tough shot from the left but missed badly, showing her frustration.

Dublin got lucky when Niamh Crowley was fouled, and the referee awarded a penalty. Tyrrell took the penalty confidently, sending the goalkeeper Dearbhla Gower diving right while placing the ball to the left.

As the first half ended, it looked like Dublin’s lead might hold. But Leonard scored a stunning goal, placing it low into the right corner, getting past Lauren Magee and Abby Shiels.

Tense second half and extra time drama

Annabelle Timothy came into the game at halftime and quickly brought the teams to a tie with the first point of the second half. Still, the atmosphere was tense. Olivia Divilly, one of the championship’s top scorers, missed an easy free kick, followed by her sister Niamh’s narrow miss.

Dublin took the lead again when Tyrrell scored a free kick after Caoimhe O’Connor was fouled. This foul led to Aoife Ní Cheallaigh being sent to the sin bin. It was the first score in eight minutes and seemed to calm Dublin, who soon extended their lead with a point from Owens.

Leonard and Tyrrell traded frees while Sinéad Aherne entered the game, making it seem like Dublin was close to winning. Yet, Galway wasn’t ready to quit.

With five minutes left, Ailish Morrissey finished an impressive solo run with a point, bringing Galway within one. Just two minutes later, Leonard’s free tied the game.

With momentum on Galway’s side, they seemed ready to find the winning score. Dublin’s defense was stretched thin, leading to a sin bin for Lauren Magee for pulling down Ward. Dublin was relieved to push the game into extra time.

Three minutes into extra time, Tyrrell put Dublin back in the lead after a beautiful play involving Owens and Aherne. But a free from Divilly tied the game again.

The game was thrilling, with both teams fighting to keep their hopes alive. Niamh Donlon added to the score as the tension grew. Aherne, a key player for Dublin for 21 years, seemed to have a goal chance but chose to take her point, making the two-point lead feel significant at that stage.

At the halfway mark of extra time, Divilly’s free brought the gap down to just one point. However, Tyrrell extended Galway’s lead back to two points with another successful free shortly after the break.

Leave a Comment