Farrell’s Dublin team clinches quarterfinal spot with draw against Mayo


w, tags: dublin spot draw - images.unsplash.com

High-stakes matches like these are filled with intensity, passion, and nonstop action right from the outset. Farrell’s Dublin team and Mayo were evenly matched, with neither side willing to back down. In the end, the fierce battle concluded in a draw.


Dublin, however, progressed straight to the quarterfinals due to their position in the Group Two standings.

Mayo’s bittersweet showdown with Dublin

Mayo supporters might find themselves torn between pride and disappointment. Leading with just 24 seconds left against the best team in the country was a monumental effort. The inability to maintain that lead will undoubtedly sting.

When questioned about having mixed feelings, Kevin McStay responded concisely, “Not really.” He explained that the draw wasn’t advantageous to their side and their goal had been to win. McStay emphasized that they were committed to securing a victory and had given it their all.

Kevin McStay lauded his team’s commitment and perseverance over recent months. He praised their effort to be in a strong position, leading by a single point with only a minute left in the game. McStay highlighted their proximity to reaching their objective, emphasizing the narrow margin.

In the final moments, Dublin found a way to stay in the game. With the score on a knife-edge, Ryan O’Donoghue converted a free kick in the 73rd minute, pushing Mayo into a narrow lead.

Stephen Cluxton, seeing his teammates tightly marked, decided his best strategy was a long kick-out. Ciarán Kilkenny then made a spectacular leap to secure the ball, giving Dublin another chance to counter.

As Mayo avoided fouls, Jack McCaffrey saw Cormac Costello near the left side of the net. Costello quickly sent the point through a small gap, even though he stumbled. This point showed his skills and helped Dublin secure the lead in the table based on point difference.

This match between Dublin and Mayo will be remembered for years. Despite hosting the All-Ireland champions, Mayo appeared fearless. They managed to hold their own in the first half, even when facing strong winds and an onslaught of blue jerseys.

Mayo’s composure did not waver in the second half, showcasing their ability to manage intense pressure.

The Dubs faced a real test this time. Their championship run has been smooth until now. But this game was tough.

Whenever they tried to take the lead, Mayo quickly caught up to keep things even. Dessie Farrell’s team is still in the race for the upcoming matches.

Costello turned the tide of the game, causing trouble with his play and set pieces. But Donnchadh McHugh did well to control Brian Fenton for most of the game, and David McBrien managed to keep Con O’Callaghan in check.

In the end, substitutes Jack McCaffrey and Paul Mannion brought the needed stability and speed in the final moments.

Dublin used the wind to their advantage. Costello, Niall Scully, and Paddy Small scored confidently from long distances—shots that Mayo hesitated to take on. Despite this, O’Donoghue’s accurate free kicks kept Mayo in the game, cutting Dublin’s lead to just one point by halftime, with the score at 0-7 to 0-6.


The second half turned into an exciting back-and-forth game. The crowd got louder with the rising excitement.

The score tied seven times. Substitutes McCaffrey and Mannion each scored a point. Aidan O’Shea also played great, setting up thrilling scores for Tommy Conroy and Ryan O’Donoghue.

With six minutes left on the clock, Mayo’s comeback looked hopeful. O’Donoghue, vying for the man of the match against Costello, nailed a crucial point against the wind, cutting the deficit to one.

Shortly after, Colm Reape leveled the scores with a 45. While the call was debatable, Mayo might feel it balanced out a missed penalty earlier in the match.

With three minutes of injury time left on the clock, the score was tied, and Mayo held possession. Demonstrating smart game management, O’Donoghue secured a free after skillfully getting past Mick Fitzsimons. His successful score electrified the supporters at Hyde.

Leave a Comment