Dublin’s Disposable Income Outpaces National Average by Nearly 15%

James

w, tags: disposable income national average - images.unsplash.com

The CSO’s data indicated that Dublin residents’ disposable income was notably above the nationwide average in 2021. Dublin, as the economic hub of Ireland, boasts a robust economy with substantial business opportunities.

This status translates to Dublin residents having a disposable income that is nearly 15% higher than the national average.

The statistic shows that the average disposable income for those living in Dublin reached a figure of €27,958 in the year 2021. This figure was a remarkable 14.7% higher than the national average of €24,376 and marked a 3.8% increase since the previous year.

Comparing Dublin to Other Counties

Four counties in Ireland stood out in 2021 for disposable income per capita that exceeded the national average: Limerick ($29,856), Wicklow ($28,643), Carlow ($28,377), and Cork ($28,367).

Dublin boasted a disposable income of €39.7 billion, outranking the income levels of other regions in the State.

Following Dublin, the Southwest region (Cork and Kerry) had the second-highest disposable income at €17.4 billion. A significant 81% of the disposable income in the given region was earned from sources in Cork.

Furthermore, The Midlands and Border areas of Ireland recorded the lowest figures for disposable income. That’s because the counties heavily depend on the Public Administration industry to generate jobs and wealth locally. However, household discretionary income consistently lags behind the state average.

The Midlands region generated a total of €6.7 billion, while the Border region produced only €8.45 million.

Sectoral Breakdown – Industry and Manufacturing

The industry and manufacturing sector dominated the economic landscape in most regions, while the information and communication sector took the lead in Dublin city and county in terms of GVA.

In addition, the average person in Donegal possessed the smallest disposable income among all counties, which totalled €19,253. The figure showed a 21% disparity compared to the State’s mean.

The latest statistics from the Central Statistics Office (CSO) reveal that the disposable income per person stands at €19,253, which is 21% below the national average. Between 2020 and 2021, this income dropped by 2.2%, widening the gap to 21% behind the nationwide average.

Additionally, Social Benefits and other transfers per person in Donegal for 2021 amounted to €8,246.

Furthermore, 22% of the compensation of employees (COE) in Donegal is sourced from foreign enterprises, while the remaining 78% comes from domestic enterprises.

Social Benefits Per Capita by County

In comparison to disposable income, Longford had the highest rate of social benefits including other transfers on a per capita basis at €8,751.

This figure was followed by Carlow (€8,701) and Louth (€8,458).

Intriguingly, even as the other four counties with higher disposable incomes saw their social benefits dip below the State average, Limerick County’s social benefits remained above it.

Limerick residents enjoyed an average of €7,683 from their social benefits per capita.

Employment Rates by County

Dublin was home to 30% of Ireland’s total workforce. A total of 13% of jobs could be attributed to the cork industry.

Furthermore, the distribution of workers showed that Dublin had the greatest number, with Cork, Galway, and Kildare holding the second, third, and fourth positions respectively.

Dependence on Public Sector

The Border and Midlands regions of Ireland have a significant reliance on the public sector for employment opportunities and economic growth.

Additionally, industry and manufacturing are less prevalent in the Midlands and Border regions, leading to a greater dependence on the public sector for economic significance and job creation in these areas.

Leave a Comment